Friday, April 13, 2012

T-Shirt Part 1


  1. The main thing that separates the cotton trade as represented in part 1 of Rivoli is the prevalence of subsidies in the American cotton industry. In a pure market system, the cotton growers would be left to fend for themselves and only the greatest growers would succeed. The subsidies give the growers a boost to produce more goods which is in clear violation of the true market philosophy.
  2. One example of culture clashing with economics was Ned Cobb's reluctance to transition from mules to tractors in his cotton production. He had only ever known the use mules and had become emotionally attached. Him not transitioning to tractors lowered the potential output of his cotton fields.
  3. It was very surprising to me how important the American cotton industry was. I knew that Americans grew cotton but I didn't know that it was to the extent that it is. I assumed that the cotton in my t-shirts was grown somewhere overseas and it was almost shocking to me that it probably came from a fellow American.

No comments:

Post a Comment